Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Guns and Money

Studies have shown that each murder causes a $20,000,000 hit to the local economy. $5,000,000 is spent by the government in crime investigation, prosecution and incarceration and the balance is the hit the economy takes because a lot of crime causes businesses to flee or not set up shop in the first place. So with about 100 gun homicides last year in Connecticut, it is fair to say the economy took a $2 billion hit. Look around you, things maybe improving marginally, but do you see an economy that needs to take a $2 billion hit every year, like about 20,000 jobs that would otherwise exist. I dont think so, so at whose door should this bill be laid? You could argue with perfect logic, the murderer, but probably Michael Skakel would be the only murderer in recent history who had a spare $20,000,000 floating around. Should it be everybody like it is now? I don't have a gun, it is nothing to do with me, so why should I pay?  Should it be gun owners? Most will say my gun is in my night stand, no one has taken it and used it to kill anybody, so why should I pay? But clearly with no gun owners and thus no guns, this problem would not exist, so the bill should at least partially be laid at the feet of gun owners in some way shape or form.

No comments:

Post a Comment